Serves: 4 / vegetarian /vegan
- 2 tortillas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup of onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of tomato paste
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 an avocado cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese (or vegan shredded cheese)
- 4 tbsp of sour cream (or vegan sour cream)
- chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime cut into wedges
- Cut the tortillas into strips. Put them on a baking sheet, put them in the oven at 200°F for 15 minutes, just enough so they’re dried out.
- Heat the olive oil on medium-high in a large pot. Fry the tortilla strips in batches until lightly browned and crisp. They tend to burn quickly in olive oil. Remove the tortilla strips and let dry on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- In the same pot with the remainder of the oil, add the chopped onions and stir until pinkish.
- Add the chopped jalapeño and cook for a few minutes more until it had softened and the onions have browned. Add the garlic and let it cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and the fresh diced tomatoes as well as the tomato paste. Keep stirring and Increase the heat to high and let boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut the avocados into thin wedges and chop the cilantro.
- With a hand blender, blend the soup to give it an even consistency
- To serve, plate the bowls by ladling in soup, add tortilla strips, avocado, cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle some shredded cheese, and squeeze some lime on top.
Ingredients that can be found in the Food Room (based on delivery and donation) are:
- Canned tomatoes
- Olive oil