It goes without saying that pancakes are a lazy Sunday classic. However, traditional recipes are often loaded with white flour, covered in “table syrup” and contain virtually no nourishing, healing, or nutritionally demeaning qualities. This recipe is a healthier take on pancakes using a 12 grain flour blend high in protein and complex carbohydrates with apple sauce in replace of the eggs to make this recipe 100% cholesterol free! Say goodbye to that yucky junk overdose feeling from regular pancakes and say hello to this nutritional powerhouse Sunday breakfast!
Serves: 2 / vegan
- 3/4 cup soy or almond milk
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 2 tbsp dairy-free butter / coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup 12 grain flour (available at bulk stores)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
1. Combine the milk and vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to curdle.
2. Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. If you do not have, or cannot find, a 12 grain/whole grain flour mix, simply substitute for more whole wheat flour.
3. Add the apple sauce and melted butter/coconut oil to the milk and vinegar mixture.
4. Preheat a frying pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes.
5. Coat the frying pan with cooking spray and use a 1/4 cup scoop to add the batter to the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side – until golden brown, firm, and slightly crispy.
6. Repeat step 5 for each pancake. Keep finished pancakes warm by covering them under a layer of aluminium foil.
Items from this recipe you can find in the Community Food Room (based on delivery and donations):
- almond milk
- apple sauce
- cooking spray
- corn meal